You’re pregnant, congrats! You know you want a doula a part of your birth team. Great! You have taken some time to contact a few local doulas, to set up an interview. Which, should always be at no cost to you, whether you meet in person or chat over the phone. What now?
Having a doula at such an intimate event in your life, means having someone you can feel completely comfortable with. A majority of the interview is getting a feel for the doula, but it’s good to have some questions to ask them as well.
Here are 10 questions (really a little more though, but they are grouped together), in no particular order, that are great to learn about a doula you’re considering. Some of these may have already been answered from looking at their website, or being told beforehand them.
- Why did you become a doula? What do you love about your work?
- Are you certified, and what is your training?
- What is your philosophy about doula work?
- How many clients do you take on average, a month?
- Do you charge overtime? How do you handle long/short/cesarean births?
- Do you use a backup? If so, how did you choose your backup? Can I meet them?
When do you like to join clients in labor?
What “tools” do you use most in births?
Do you have a list of local professionals that you refer to?
- What sets you apart from other doulas?