What is Postpartum Belly Binding?
Belly binding is an ancient tradition in many eastern cultures. Essentially it is a practice of using special knots to tie a long piece of cloth around the abdomen – sometimes after applying a special herbal paste – during the postpartum recovery period. It helps to ensure a strong support and increased healing to a woman’s womb after childbirth.
Benefits of Postpartum Belly Binding?
- Helping the body regain its pre-pregnancy shape. Due to water + air retention, pelvic expansion, and larger organs (such as the uterus returning to its original size), belly binding supports the body in returning to its previous state.
- Pelvic + Back support – supports good posture in walking, sitting, and even the dreaded “nursing slouch”.
- Decreases postpartum bleeding time – while keeping the uterus in a contracted position.
- Relieves the “empty” feeling after childbirth, miscarriage, or stillbirth.
- Speeds core healing, by pulling the separated abdominal muscles (diastasis recti) back together.
- Increased stomach muscle tone and skin tightening – the herbal warming paste applied around the abdomen may increase blood flow to the abdominal area and also stimulate the body to release retained water, which occurs after childbirth.
And above all, it simply feels good. Who doesn’t want that after childbirth?
Postpartum Belly Binding Packages
1-Day Postpartum Belly Bind $150
3-Day Postpartum Belly Bind $200
5-Day Postpartum Belly Bind
*Doula clients receive 50% OFF any belly binding package.
Each Postpartum Belly Bind Service includes:
- one belly bind/wrap made with pure cotton muslin
- belly firming paste made with all natural ingredients. (optional)
- wrapping sessions in the comfort of your own home.
- instruction for you and/or your partner to continue to bind, if desired.
- postpartum support & resources
Belly Binding FAQs
When should I schedule a belly bind?
Please try and schedule your Belly Binding services before 38 weeks gestation. This allows enough time for your bind to be made, and for me to ensure you are booked in my schedule.
How long do I wear the bind?
Traditionally, the Bengkung belly bind is worn 24 hours a day for the entire postpartum “confinement” period, which is 30-40 days for cultures that observe this practise.
For most of us, that is not always possible to achieve. We have found that binds are most beneficial when worn during the first 8 weeks postpartum, 8-12 hrs at a time, for a minimum of 5-10 days, and should be started 2-3 days after birth. After a cesarean birth you should wait about 6 weeks before beginning a bind to allow your incision to begin to heal properly.
I prefer wrapping new moms in the evening before bed so that she can sleep while it does most of the work, but you can be wrapped at any time of day and it will be beneficial.
Why should I belly bind vs. a store bought bind or girdle?
Other store-bought belly binds or girdles are made “one size” to fit small to large. However, your “size” will change as you continue binding, and my bind/wraps are custom made to fit every shape of woman, and will adjust to whatever size you need.
It doesn’t just work on the waist, it covers from under the chest all the way down to below the hips, which also helps the ribcage and hips shrink back down to their former dimensions. Each bind is comfortable and supportive; and recommended to be worn under clothing.
Can I wrap myself, or do I need someone else to do it?
My services include a lesson on how to continue wrapping. You can wrap yourself, however it may not be as effective and snug as someone else wrapping you. I suggest having a partner present who can learn to, so that they may continue wrapping you.
What areas do you serve?
I serve all areas within 25 miles of Ogden, Utah. If you are outside this radius, I can come to you for an additional charge of $1 per mile or I’m happy to refer you to someone closer.
Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!